Learning Skills - Notes

Props, Styles, Moves, dancing, Rolling, Skills + Techniques
Drew

Learning Skills - Notes

Post by Drew » Wed May 24, 2017 8:17 pm

Hi All,
I've been doing a lot of research into learning motor skills, with the aim to try to work out what is the best way to learn contact Juggling. I thought that rather than write up my notes on my own computer, I would download them here into this thread. If anyone else wants to chip in feel free, so in no particular order, lets start with:

1 TIME: It will not take 10 000 hours to master a skill, nor can you master it in 20 hours. (Truthyness factor - I'm pretty confident about this.)

So I'm sure you've all heard the 10 000 hour rule, Malcolm Gladwell managed to push it hard in his pop psychology book Outliers where he repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to achieving world-class expertise in any skill, is, to a large extent, a matter of practising the correct way, for a total of around 10,000 hours.

Yea yea yea. whatever :roll:
1 It's an arbitrary number. Bummer for you if you only got to 9998 hours
2 What about the effect of quality of your practice. If you have a professional coach, and optimum training techniques, diet, sleep and the all rest, surely your practice time would be more effective and more efficient, you would make much faster progress, and if that's the case you could be as good in 5000 hours as you would have been in 10 000 without all that support.

Heres a brief but nice counter argumenthttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 59506.html.

And at the other extreme are those books which promise "Master French in 20 hours" or Guitar or F*sh!g! whatever else....
So what's that about, well if your goal is to pick up a guitar and learn to play a few simple songs at a party, then 20 hours is a pretty reasonable time.
Or pick up 1 ball and learn a few simple tricks ... the same.
For many people, that's as much as they want to learn before they move onto the next thing. (but not us!) And sure after 20 hours you are better than 95% of people (who've done nothing!) and you can have a bit of fun.
So what is that about. Marketing bullshit!
The're not much of a market for a beginners book titled "master guitar in 20 hours a week every week for the next few years."
And the publisher hopes that after a beginner is 20 hours in, they're hooked enough to forgive them that "little" lie and buy the next book "French from Beginner to Expert..." etc
To learn a skill will take time, the harder the skill and the better you want to be, the more time it will take. But do not think more time is a bad thing. it is not. More time is a good thing, it is more time under a ball, doing the thing we love. And we continue to love it so long as we feel that we are "winning" (we feel we are making progress towards our goals) and that we're enjoying it.

So we want to maximise 2 things: The rate we progress in our skill as we practice and the amount we enjoy our practice.... with a ball.
Effectiveness and Enjoyment!
And that's where we are going with this....

Some topics to come, as their headings for half done research: Plateaus, learning theory, sleep, beginners, motivation, learning pathways, friends, feedback, videos, effective practice, deliberate practice, optimum time, transfer of learning, mindstate for CJ, mindstate for learning, bodystate, joy and fun, warmup and stretching....
Well, It looks like this signature function works fine :) to add your own or upload an avatar picture click on "user control panel" in the top left.

dawndreams

Re: Learning Skills - Notes

Post by dawndreams » Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 pm

We opened Pandora's box on the learning topic, oh my! It seems to be what our community struggles with the most.
Learning to teach takes as much time as learning, with the added bonus, you need to have learned first.

It was both a curse and a blessing learning without help, waaaay back, as finding the right teacher is also difficult. Someone who inspires and challenges you, but doesn't stifle expression is difficult to find.

Every time I chat with someone about this I am inspired!

dawndreams

Post by dawndreams » Mon May 29, 2017 7:00 pm

Motivation - it's really interesting to see all the different motivation talks and ideas out there. This woman is my favorite.
[youtubeurl]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BXuZL1HAg[/youtubeurl]

Flying Ball Wizard

Post by Flying Ball Wizard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm interested in optimum time. I usually think: aha I'm gonna practice this today, and after just a few minutes I get distracted and end up doing other stuff that I already know and just play around a bit? Do you stick for a long time on one trick? Do you perhaps set a time that you'll practice something new? Interested in what people view as more efficient/fun!